Audible Fools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making a Dubstep Help?

3 posters

Go down

Making a Dubstep Help? Empty Making a Dubstep Help?

Post by Aman809 Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm

hello my fellow foolz.

I recently discovered the type of music we call "dubstep" and instantly fell head over heels for it! I really wanted to create my own in the simplest, cheapest way possible, but sadly, I do not know how to do this. Any ideas?
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Making a Dubstep Help? Empty Re: Making a Dubstep Help?

Post by YoFool Thu May 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Well let me go ahead and tell you that you won't be able to just open up a program and make a cool song. It's taken me like 3 years to be able to make pretty good music. You first have to listen to a lot of the music so you can get an idea of what it sounds like. Then you'll need to get a program to make it. This involves learning about synthesizers, basic knowledge of music, how to use a DAW, etc. Plus, it's very hard to find a free music production program which is actually good. So before you do anything, you've actually gotta learn how to play an instrument. Piano would be the best to learn, because you have to deal with the piano keys in a music production program. Just know that all of this can't be done over night. It takes time to learn each individual thing. If you're still interested, I can tell you some more things about it.
YoFool
YoFool
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Thu May 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Could you define DAW?
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by YoFool Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 am

Digital Audio Workstation. It's a universal name for music production programs.
YoFool
YoFool
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Fri May 27, 2011 12:42 pm

1. Thanks!
2. Where is the best recommended place to learn this general, yet highly necessary, pieces of information?
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by 15thDimension Fri May 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Aman809 wrote:hello my fellow foolz.

I recently discovered the type of music we call "dubstep" and instantly fell head over heels for it! I really wanted to create my own in the simplest, cheapest way possible, but sadly, I do not know how to do this. Any ideas?

Welcome, my friend, we have been expecting you...

Now, don't worry about what YoFool said, as far as I know he doesn't really even know what dubstep is. Razz

For top-quality "indie" dubstep, you need two essential things:

1. A DAW Digital Audio Workstation (I recommend FL Studio)

2. A sick instrument plugin to create the aggressive basses and fx

However, if you want to go CHEAP, you may have some trouble. You can pick up the FL Studio free demo at the FL Studio website. It's a great way to get you started in making music for free.

Now that you have a DAW, like I stated before, you will need at instrument plugin. These are also known as VSTs, and you can even use them in the FL Studio demo. The best one I have found for dubstep is Native-Intruments Massive. However, it's quite expensive and fairly complicated. Your best bet is to look up YouTube videos on Fl Studio tutorials for dubstep. Also, be sure experiment with some of the built in plugins in FL Studio.

Aside from that, all you will really need to know to get started is some basic music theory. I also recommend you listen to a lot of dubstep. The more you know about the details and parts of a dubstep song, the better you will be able to produce your own.

-15thD
15thDimension
15thDimension
Admin
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/15thDimension

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Sat May 28, 2011 1:15 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH Exclamation

Now if i'm not a bother, could you answer these for me please? Razz

1. Does the demo come with an expiration date?

2. The name, FL Studio, seems awfully fimaliar. It seems very reputable and somewhat worthy of purchasing. Do you happen to know the cost?

3. Who do you recommend I listen to for an example of good quality dubstep music?

4. Who do you think I should listen to for an example of what I should start out with trying to imitate, until I find my own style?

Thanks again!

Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by 15thDimension Sat May 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Aman809 wrote:THANK YOU SO MUCH Exclamation

Now if i'm not a bother, could you answer these for me please? Razz

1. Does the demo come with an expiration date?

2. The name, FL Studio, seems awfully fimaliar. It seems very reputable and somewhat worthy of purchasing. Do you happen to know the cost?

3. Who do you recommend I listen to for an example of good quality dubstep music?

4. Who do you think I should listen to for an example of what I should start out with trying to imitate, until I find my own style?

Thanks again!

1. The demo never expires, the only prominent feature that it lacks from the full version is the ability to save project files. You can still use it for as long as you would like and export MP3s and such, but you will only be able to work on the same thing one session at a time.

2. FL Studio is actually a pretty popular DAW as far as individual "producers" and groups are concerned. The software itself comes in multiple editions, ranging from $50 to $300. Most people will only need the Fruity Edition ($100) or Producer's Edition($200). The Signature Edition($300) is the same as the Producer's Edition except with additional bundled instrument plugins.

3. xKore is a good example of what can be done with FL Studio and Massive. Some song I particularly recommend are Destroyer, Beast Mode, Eden, and Magum.

4. Not really sure about this one. You should probably just start out with a very minimalistic style to get a grip rather than trying to imitate something else.
15thDimension
15thDimension
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Sun May 29, 2011 2:07 am

I tested out FL Studio Demo today. I really am glad you recommended me for this! I think what I now need is a tutorial on the basics of FL Studio. This is so much simpler that I thought it would be, and again, thank you so much!
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Sun May 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Good News: I created a first demo song, recorded it on the Edison recorder, and saved the mp3 and wav files!

Bad News: Real Time and Windows Media Play say that there is something with the file i saved. Any suggestions?
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by 15thDimension Sun May 29, 2011 6:31 pm

You don't export or record the entire song with Edison. You go to File -> Export -> MP3.
15thDimension
15thDimension
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Sun May 29, 2011 6:59 pm

So then what does Edison do?
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by YoFool Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

What I was trying to say was that this isn't something you can just do over night. You might be able to make a basic song and know about the program a little, but if you want to be any good at this it's going to take time. This is something which a lot of us kinda throw off when we decide we want to do something like this. Also, don't try to imitate someone else's work, try to be unique and create your own style. This comes about by listening to different artists songs of the style of music and taking the elements you like out of it.

Now I wouldn't worry about what 15th said about my post, as far as I know it doesn't really matter whether I know what dubstep is or not. That's not the first thing you need to know about if you want to make good dubstep song. Razz (Take that and get off my case.)
YoFool
YoFool
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 15thDimension Sun May 29, 2011 10:16 pm

YoFool wrote:That's not the first thing you need to know about if you want to make good dubstep song. Razz (Take that and get off my case.)

You can't make dubstep if you don't even know what it is.
15thDimension
15thDimension
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YoFool Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 am

My point is that you can't make a dubstep if you don't know how to "make music." You have to know how to do that first, that's what my whole first post was about. Can you not see that?
YoFool
YoFool
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aman809 Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Well actually, I made two songs. Very impressive, in my opinion, for a beginner. Tragically, when i exported the files, the would not work as a playback. So it pretty much rendered as useless, but i did have fun. (Until the file wouldn't save and would randomly disappear, and never could find a solution, and me being frustrated, etc.)
Aman809
Aman809
Official Fool
Official Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum